What is Summer Learning Loss?
Summer is an ideal time for students of all ages to strengthen their academic skills while still having plenty of time left over for summer activities.
When the school doors close for the summer, many children struggle to access educational opportunities. Summer Brain Drain is another term for learning loss and is the loss in academic skills and knowledge over the course of summer holidays. On average, children lose about 2.6 months’ worth of grade level equivalency in mathematical skills during their summer break! What’s more, children only need to spend 2 – 3 hours per week using educational resources during the summer break to prevent any learning loss!
Studies have found that all children, regardless of background, made similar improvement during term time. It is during the long summer break that differences occurred: children from wealthier backgrounds had better access to the kinds of activities that keep their brains active, be that summer camps, physical activity programs, formal tutoring or simply more conversation with adults. In short, summer brain drain affects all children, but unfortunately is much more apparent with children from less-wealthy families.
Summer Learning Loss Facts:
- Equivalent of one month of overall learning is lost after summer break
- Six weeks are spent re-learning old material to make up for summer learning loss
- Two months of reading skills are lost over the summer
- 2 – 3 hours a week during the summer break is need to prevent any learning loss
- As early as Reception summer learning loss can be recognized
- Two months of all subject focused learning is all it takes to improve specific learning skills
- Two thirds of income based achievement gap is attributed to summer learning loss
- It can take up to 2 months from the first day of school for a student’s brain development to get back on track.
How can you prevent the learning loss?
When it comes to helping to stop the flow of learning loss, parents have a key role to play. Learning loss is much less pronounced, if there at all, in families that provide learning opportunities. As a parent, we know that you want your children to have a break from formal learning this summer but it is also important for you to understand the importance of learning and try and introduce the opportunity to keep their brains active. Thanks to the 10ticks Home Learning System, the power to stop Summer Learning Loss is literally at your fingertips.